Wednesday 1 May 2013

Double Indemnity (1944)

Doubling indemnity since 1944... This was a film noir that i had put off watching for a while because i just thought that it would be quite intimidating to watch. Another reason I had put of watching this film was that no matter how hard i try (and boy do i try) noir films just aren't my favorite so far, but I guess I should keep my mind open and watch a few more to make a complete judgement. Now there is no doubt that double indemnity is a classic and well known among film buffs, maybe not as well known as casablanca and gone with the wind but hey maybe one day.

Double Indemnity is the story of Walter (Fred MacMurray) an insurance rep who is attracted to Phyllis Dietrichson (take a moment to review the name and do with it what you will) who is played by Barabra Stanwyck. They begin an affair and Phyllis convinces Walter to help her kill her husband and receive the double indemnity insurance. Walter devices a clever plan on how to do this though things turn out perfectly....in the beginning. With the help of Walters friend and co-worker Barton Keyes (Edward G.Robinson) their plan comes crumbling down. I don't want to give to much away but paranoia takes over and  well things don't turn out as planned.







I did enjoy Double Indemnity, i really did but i had a complete feeling of deja vu throughout the entire film though never having seen it before. I also thought that the ending wasn't predictable but neither did it shock me. I did think that when Walter carried out the murder he was very smart and it was detailed. I really enjoyed how they planned the murder i thought it was pretty ingenious, even if it didn't turn out as planned. overall I did enjoy this film and thought the acting was beautiful.
I rate this....................8.2 out of 10




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.