Friday 25 January 2013

An Album of Film Stars

I recently purchased a John Player & Sons cigarette card collection from 1934 it has all of the fifty cards and biographies of the film stars underneath. I really liked the book because of the artwork and I do think it is amazing to own something from the 1930's and I absolutely adore it. It is so interesting to read the biographies of the stars and to see which stars were the most famous or well known at this time. The pictures taken were by me of the book, I am sorry for the bad quality of the photos. Also you probably won't be able to see but in the bottom left corner of the cards it says the studio the actor/actress worked in at the time the cards were released which is very interesting to me anyway.


Gwili Andre, Richard Arlen and George Arliss

George Brent, Clive Brook and Madeleine Carroll

Warner Baxter, Joan Bennett and Tala Birell 
Nancy Carroll, Gary Cooper and Joan Crawford

Nancy Carroll, Gary Cooper and Joan Crawford

James Dunn, Sally Eilers and Madge Evans

Douglas Fairbanks, Kay Francis and Clark Gable

Lilian Harvey, Katharine Hepburn and Jack Holt

Greta Garbo, William Haines and Jean Harlow

Dorothy Jordan, Elissa Landi and Charles Laughton

Gertrude Lawrence, Carole Lombard and Myrna Loy

Paul Lukas, Ralph Lynn and "Boots" Mallory

Fredric March, Sari Maritza and Jessie Matthews

Joel McCrea, Robert Montgomery and Karen Morley

Ramon Novarro, Norma Shearer and Sylvia Sidney

Raquel Torres, Tom Walls and Johnny Weissmuller

Diana Wynyard and Loretta Young
Also after this book arrived my dad told me that he had some of his granddads  my great-granddads cigarette cards because he had collected them. There are cards with kings, animals, buildings and other things on them unfortunately there weren't any with film stars but they are still incredibly interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.